Sunday, November 16, 2008

Prison - Day Two

The final day of my prison weekend was awesome! I got to visit the so-called "God Pod". The jail is divided into pods, or dorms. The pod has about 25 bunk beds around the outside of the room and there are school-style cafeteria tables bolted to the floor in the center of the room. Along one wall are 6 toilets and 1 shower. There is a small bathroom divider between the toilets and the room, but not between the toliets themselves. A guard sits in between a couple of different pods in a little room keeping watch at all times and electronically opening the door when we need in or out. The lights are always on, even at night. There are no windows. This particular jail has no yard, so these girls never see the light of day, unless they get to work on the bottom floor in the garage area.

The God Pod is one of three faith-based pods on the 10th floor, where I was assigned. Many of the inmates in there are working on their GED. The girls have their own government, including a governor, a mayor, a principal, tutors, and devotional leaders. They follow their own schedule including tutoring and three Bible studies daily. They are following the Hope Literacy program (http://hopelit.com/) and it is working!! This was an incredible thing to see in prison! One of our teammates who visited with them on Friday told me that she got to be there for their daily devotion which ended in an incredible time of worship. She said she is going back to her church and writing "Ichabod" across it because they are dead compared to these ladies who worshiped the One True God like they meant it!! She said we aren't even worthy to touch the hem of their garments! I sure was curious to see what that was all about.

I spent the first part of my morning encouraging some ladies and reminding them that they can continue what we started, sharing the gospel with others. They told their stories and what they are learning, including how they are thankful to God for putting them there and rescuing them from themselves! They told me they are using the time to study the Bible, memorize His Word, and learn to rely on God as their Father, provider, teacher.

Then, I asked them what questions they have right now. What is God teaching them that they have questions about? They all said 'generational sin.' They have been studying that with their pastor and one girl said she doesn't know if she believes it or not. Once again, I was able to refer to the 10 commandments. The second command is about idols and how God punishes the children for the sin of the fathers... that is generational sin. It is very common for children to fall into the same sin that their parents did... generational sin. I got to tell them many personal stories of things I have dealt with, including having a short temper with my girls. They were very interested in hearing how I am just as much of a sinner as they are, and how I have dealt with it using God's Word as my guide. One example of this is how God has reminded me on many occasions that my anger does not bring about the righteous life that He desires (James 1:20). Another is when I am wanting repentance from my children, He shows me that I won't get it with my anger, but with my kindness (Romans 2:4).

I never really know what I am going to talk about when I give my time to a mission trip, or to mentoring, or to a prison weekend. I am constantly in prayer while I am sitting there listening to them. "God, what do you want me to say?" Sometimes, He reminds me of specific Bible verses that I've memorized. Sometimes, He reminds me of my successes. Many times, He wants me to tell of my failures. Although this is not my favorite thing to talk about, it is usually the thing that seems to have the best impact. I think they see me as just another sinner - instead of just another 'do-gooder' who has it all together and looks down on them.

You'd think that talking about my failures might make me feel down, but actually, the opposite is true. I walked out of that prison on the greatest high, singing His praises with incredible joy!! It is an indescribable feeling to know that you have obeyed God and been used by Him as His mouthpiece. I will GLADLY be a fool for Him - even if it means exposing my weaknesses to show His power and love to rescue the perishing.

I hope you will join me sometime so you can experience it too!

1 comment:

Shanita Waters said...

Amen! May God continue to bless you and your ministry richly. I'm going to "follow" your blog. I pray that God will continue to give you the strength to walk out your assignment. I know that you aren't doing it for the accolades of man or even the appreciation of girls but I personally want to tell you thank you and stay encourage.

Blessings!
Shanita