Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prison Weekend


So, I am going to prison again... tomorrow morning. This will be my fifth time to go on a Bill Glass Weekend of Champions (WOC) with the prison ministry. You would think that after four times, I would be at ease. Yeah, I thought that too. I was wrong. My mind is racing tonight and my stomach is practicing for the somersault championship! Once again, I am telling them both that I have no reason to be afraid. I always have a great time and it is such an incredible experience, not to mention the new friends I make. They are not listening.

So, it all started four years ago. Mark went on a WOC and came back telling me how great it was and saying I should go. "That is fine for you, but it is not for me. Trust me, God is not calling me to do that!"

Five months later, he went again, coming home with the same awesome stories. This time, he got down on one knee and asked if I would do something for him.

Oh, he is so sweet!!! "Anything for you, Baby," I replied.

"Go with me on the next Weekend of Champions!" he pleaded.

"SHUT UP! And don't ever ask me that again!" Where that anger came from, I didn't know, but I made it clear to him that I was not interested.

After his third time three months later, I instructed him NOT to ask me to go and he obliged. He only told me all the great stories, like how he got to lead several people to a faith in Jesus Christ, how it was so easy, how the platform speakers had such incredible testimonies that prepared the inmates' hearts and how all he had to do was to read the tract to them.

By now, God was snickering at me. He loves to see me squirm!! "Mark, I am going to tell you something, and I don't want you to say a word. I think that maybe, possibly, God might be telling me to go sometime."

Within minutes, Mark was on the computer, and I was signed up to go the next month. That was January of 2005. Since then, I have experienced the awesomeness of the event for myself!

That first day, I learned the best lesson ever, which I restudy before every mission trip! I came back to the hotel room and debriefed with Mark - telling him all about Pinky, the lady I met who was the closest to me in age and color and education... but that's where our similarities ended.

I spent a long time in prayer that night. I was at my wit's end! "I have nothing in common with any of these people," I told God. "I have nothing to offer them."

"Ahhh," said God. "Now you are getting it! You are right. You have nothing to offer them. Now, I can use you. Now go there tomorrow and offer them ME! I have what they need. Not you."

1 comment:

bitsy8 said...

Thanks for sharing. This is great. I look forward to hearing what happened.